Saturday, February 27, 2010

PADI certified diver

A short note on what I've been up too lately. The past four days I was taking a course in Patong to achieve PADI certification as an Open Water Diver. The first two days I was in either a classroom or swimming pool fron about eight in the morning until six at night, and the last two days was on a boat for the same amount of time. It was an incredible experience, and at some point I hope to write some more about it. I especially want to write about Martin my dive instructor as another sign along the way. But for now suffice it to say that I am a PADI open water certified diver.

Last night was another crazy Thailand night. These things are both addictive and expensive, and, again, I hope to write more about this.

In any case, I made the decision not to pursue the Peace Corps Indonesia option. My excuse/rationale was the fact that the book is supposed to come out in the fall and I had promised my editor that I would be available for publicity at the time. But the truth is, once that got put off in the fall, that ship had sailed. I just had a strong sense that this is not the path to pursue. But like Socartes' daimon, although I can often determine what path not to pursue, the daimon never seems to point out anything constructive.

Leave for China tomorrow, and not even sure if I will do that, much less for how long. A month there and three weeks in Nepal seems about right. But there is still the possibility of the semester in China consistent with the Wisdom for All Seasons book project. All I know is that decisions don't get any easier by putting them off.

No comments:

Post a Comment