Friday, May 21, 2010

Reflections on a Saturday morning

No particular reason to write this morning and nothing much to say. No revelations about what to do next. I've been spending an inordinat amount of time on the computer, most of trying to write up a couple of things. But I have been making increcibly slow progress. Also, my Chinese study has almost come to a complete stop. It is difficult to study when travelling, especially so when you are in a country that is not the language you are studying. But I've started up with Chinese Pod again and hope to get back in the groove (although not to make any real progress).

The burning question I think was raised by the Thomas Moore book I read a while ago. The issue is not so much what you will do but who you will be, for who you will be will determine what you will do. Are you going to devote yourself to writing and squeek by on the savings you have and odd jobs you can pick up? Do you want to go become a social worker? a chef? Do you want to try to make a living doing teaching gigs every now and then? Do you want to go into another line of work? These are the questions that must be answered before any definitive path is taken.

I just don't see how I can stay in Tucson for the summer. Am thinking about maybe hanging out there for a month and then taking off for an extended road trip when I have to go and give the paper in late June. Either camping around the country, or perhaps working at Yellowstone or volunteering at the Shamhala Center. It's all pretty tentative.

No comments:

Post a Comment