Thursday, October 29, 2009

Lonely Planet Thorntree

So to divert myself I have been planning this New Zealand trip. Here are a couple of posts I put on Lonely Planet Thorntree. I've posted the links if you want to read the responses. So much more interesting to do this sort of stuff than to think about one's future

Arrival/departure enigmaHere's a question I haven't seen answered after reading these message boards for a couple of hours. Most flights into New Zealand are into Auckland. But most people seem to want to spend most of the time on the South Island. I am just curious how others deal with the situation. Do you (a) circle back to Auckland at the end, (b) buy a one way ticket from Christchurch to Auckland, (c) fly into Auckland and out of Christchurch? (C) would seem ideal, but after extensive checking seems more expensive than (b). I am planning on five weeks in New Zealand and would like to do one week in North and four in South and would appreciate suggestions on how to handle the arrival/departue city enigma. Much thanks.
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1832847&tstart=30

Thanks all for your previous advice on departure/arrival possibilities. I've decided to fly into Christchurch and out of Auckland. I am planning on renting a car for the first two weeks on the South Island, and here is the itinerary I've come up with. This looks good to me on paper, but as I've no experience on the ground any suggestions would be appreciated. I am especially looking for substantial day hikes to do in the second part of the trip11/10 (T) Arrive Christchurch11/11 (W)Drive to Blenheim w/stop in Kaikoura (316 km/196 m). Nite in Blenheim11/12 (TH)Blenheim to Nelson (113 km/70m).Camp in Totaranui campground11/13 (F) Do hike in Abel Tasmen : Night in campground11/14 (S) Nelson to Karamea (330km/205 m) night in Karamea11/15: (S): Hike 5 hr on Heaphy Track. Night at Heaphy Hut 11/16 (M) Hike out of Heaphy Track; drive to Greymouth (329km/205 mi)11/17 (T) Greymouth to Fox Glacier (203 km/126 mi) Camp near Fox Glacier11/18 (W) Hike Alex Knob Track. Camp Fox Glacier11/19 (TH): Fox Glacier to Wanaka (262 km/163 m). Night in Wanaka11/20: (F) Explore Wanaka11/21: (S) Wanaka to Te Anu (230 km/143 mi). Night in Te Anu11/22: (S) Drive to Milford Sound . Night in Te Anu11/23: (M) Te Anu to Oamaru (413 km/257 m).11/24: (T) Oamaru to Christchurch (248km/154m)/
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1836963&tstart=0

No comments:

Post a Comment