Monday, October 5, 2009

On the road

Been on the road camping for about a week, and though I've had no problem with access to the internet it seems I don't have much to stay. The thing about being on the road like this without a plan, is that all mental energy is directed to where to stay next, what supplies you need, what to do for the day. No time to contemplate my next move except late at night lying in the sleeping bag, which is actually more than enough time, too much time. Where's the xanax when you need it?

About the only thing I am clear on is the fact that I'm in no hurry to take up another path. I think the thing that finally decided the matter for me about leaving the university was that this was the path I had been on more or less my entire life, without a break. That is, I went from undergraduate to graduate school to one year job to tenure track. I briefly took about s five month break early on in my graduate career, leaving school in mid-term of my second semester but starting up again in the fall. So you can say that since I became an adult there was not one semester that did not find me attached to a university in some manner, until now. So I think it is a well-deserved break, and I think that was the right call given those conditions. But this also causes me to doubt that my situation has relevance outside of the peculiarities of my condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment