Friday, July 16, 2010

Global Volunteer Network

So after a breakfast at Village Inn, I make my way over to Barnes and Nobles. I stop first in the travel section and check out some books on China, thinking that perhaps one of the things I can do is to sketch out two months in China for the fall. Well, I wander over to the travel essays section and come across a few books on volunteering. I flip the page to New Zealand and see something called the Global Volunteer Network which, in addition to hosting a lot of volunteer activities also runs a yearly "Be the Change Program," where people go to learn about social entrepeneuring, possibly starting a volunteer organization or working for one. The workshop is for those who want to:
Start a non-profit/charity organization
Get paid to make a difference in the lives of others.
Get a job with a non-profit/charity
Start a social enterprise or project
Learn how to get a job with the United Nations
Or if you just want to learn more about the field of Social Entrepreneurship and /or International Development

Well, so I end up going to the web page and it looks really interesting. The conference is in New Zealand Nove 21-28th and I am seriously considerring going, especially since I may well be in that part of the world anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, my daughter found GVN a few years ago and went to New Zealand for 3 mo as part of that program. She was a volunteer in the conservation program (Toby and Rachel are excellent leaders of the Wellington-based group).

    Anyway, the workshop you are talking about is held in Taupo--gorgeous. I lived a couple hours north of there for 2 years. I think going on an adventure like that is just what you need to start your new life. I want to applaud you for thinking outside the box. (I'm a college instructor and currently exploring my options outside of academia).

    Best of luck to you,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete