Saturday, July 17, 2010

Random thought 717

Gratitude. a sentiment I have expressed too infrequently in my life. At some point, I should sit down and write (not necessarily send) lettes to people to whom I owe a debt of gratitude...Getting crazy ideas these days. Doing conferences in New Zealand. Running around China. Extended camping trips. It is the fight or flight complex kicking in. Also the end of the summr thing...I was going to sketch out five possible future scenarios yesterday. I should at least sketch out three...On the other hand, it still seems valid for me to take an extended break, that this is something I deserve, and that just to wander aimlessly for a couple of years would be fine, although it would be nice to have more definite plans that at least involved earning some income...The book on China, the Philosopher-Chef book, the wisdom for all seasons book...I could see spending five years writing these three books. If at the end of it none of them has made it, well, find something else...Chinese and classical guitar, two things I have made so little progress in proportionate to the time invested...Still, the conference in New Zealand seems like a valid idea. Maybe kick start me. Certainly a worthy goal...So I am thinking next fall will be a wandering season and then try to set up something definite for winter/spring semester in China, depending on when the book comes out...I sure would like to get in shape to run a marathon or at least a half, but that would require remaing in the states for at least another 3-4 months, which I really could do, although I could not do it here...I mean, there is no reason to jump on the China book and could just as easily start it next year, but if I did that I would have to go somewhere this fall, preferably somewhere where I could earn some money while I'm trying to pitch the book... I certainly can't afford to run around Asia, so if I go overseas it will have to be to a definite place and with a definite purpose...It does seem I should not rush into anything long term right now. I did apply for the one job with CEA and if, per impossibile, I was offerd it, I would probably take it, I don't think it is something I am going to have to worry about...Whatever the situation, I vow not to be still living in Arizona in September

No comments:

Post a Comment