Monday, January 25, 2010

If you are falling, dive

Well, I leave tomorrow (actually, since it is after midnight) I leave today. In the spirit of the Jospeh Campbell quote in the title of this post, I am trying to put the best face of this, even though I have more than my share of reservations. Now I am thinking of just spending a month in China and hitting the language really hard for a month, trekking Nepal in April and heading back to the States by early May, perhaps for the Peace Corps Indonesia. I just don't think I haveit in me right now to sit in a classroom for a semester in Chengdu.

But really this trip makes no sense. It serves no purpose except to expend energy, accomplishes nothing, simply utilizes financial and psychic resources. But in all honesty, I don't know what else to do. I've always thought with Emerson that a trip needs to be undergirded by some purpose. And I lack that for this journey. Indeed, my new motto is to go nowhere unless you are being paid to go there. And after this trip, I just might stick to that credo. Given my financial situation, I will probably have to. Talk about making a virtue out of necessity.

1 comment:

  1. I just listened to one of Joseph Cambell's books and heard him say the quote if you are falling, dive. I thought it was brilliant. I hope your trip was worth it after all. Scott

    ReplyDelete