Friday, January 29, 2010

I couldn't have said it better myself

"Not for the first time I realized that I was continuing to function--continuing, more accurately, to malfunction--while in the grips of some kind of domestic shell shock or pretraumatic stress, that I had been in the midst of an ongoing nervous breakdown without even being aware of it, that I had in fact, gone to pieces. I mean that as literally as possible. Everything had become scattered, fragmented. I couldn't concentrate. Each day was scattered intoa million pieces. A day was not made up of twenty-four hourse but of 86,400 seconds, and these did not flow into one another--did not bulid, as letters do, into words and sentences--so that, as a consequence, there was not enough time to get anything done. My days were made uo of impulses that could never become acts. Ten hours was not enough to get anything done because it really wasn't ten hours, it was just a billion bits of time, each one far too small to do anything with...There was a statmpede going on in my head except what was going on in my hedad was worse than a stampede. A stampede occurs when a mass of animals moves in one direction; mine was a stampede in which everything flew off in every direction. Chaos theory, the big bang, entropy--all this physics, this primal chemistry or whatever it was, was all going off in my head all the time. The smallest setback threw me into a blind panic. I didn't have panic attacks--I was in a state of continous panic. It wasnt that I couldn't concentrate--I was in the grips of something that was the opposite of concentration, a centrifigul force that created an irrestistible sense of dispersal."
--Geoff Dyer, Yoga for People Who Can't Be Bothered to Do It

No comments:

Post a Comment