Thursday, August 13, 2009

Keep it simple

I am not sure I have anything particularly enlightening to say. I know the Tibetans have a word to describe the state one awaits in between death and life, and that is sort of what it feels like. I am still awaiting to hear the final word from the lawyer before making the last call, but in essence it is all but made. Now it is just a matter of when to pack it up for good. I still have to get rid of some stuff from my storage shed, most notably this bed I bought last year. I have to figure out what to put in the car. I have rented the room I am in until August 23rd, and if I can get my car registered and my teeth cleaned by then, I should be able to leave not long after that. Where to go, though, I cannot quite say. Of course much depends on whether I get and/or accept the Peace Corps assignment. But my thinking is to take a long drive back to Tucson while camping my way there and arriving there sometimes in mid Septemeber. OF course, there is the clonoscopy to think about, which would entail either by driving back to Ogden or flying into Ogden. Not sure how that is going to fit into things.

My therapist suggested some sort of ritual around leaving and I guess that is a good idea. However, my model is the way they had the character from Law and Order leave, Jerry Orbich, who was dying at the time. He doesn't tell anyone, picks up his box and leaves. It should be as simple as that. I seem to recall as well a line from Marcus Aurelius about how the Athenians pray fro rain. They simply say something like "rain, Zeus, rain" and Marcus comments all prayers should be that simple. So perhaps should all rituals. I mean, I was thinking about going to the Uintas and making a bonfire and burning all of my remaining academic materials. And I still might do that. But really, just packing things up and leaving should be enought

No comments:

Post a Comment