Sunday, August 23, 2009

Park City

Well, getting ready to leave Park City which has been both a pleasant retreat and a place of suffering. Pleasant because of its abundant hiking and running trails, the wonderful weather we've had and the relatively comfortable digs (and not inexpensiv) digs I have put myself in. Probably the nicest I will see for a while. Painful because with me every day has been the heaviness of this decision which, as I pointed out yesterday, reminded me of nothing so much as the period spent watching my sister die.

For sustenance I've run off Pico Iyer's essay of about six weeks ago about he left New York over twenty years ago and has settled for a simple life in Japan. Cut off from muchof modernity, he enjoys the daily simplicities ever so much more. He, too, left a comfortable job (but of course for him it doubtless would have been pretty easy to go back) to live a year at a zen monastary. Twenty years later he is still near that monastary living in a two room apartment. I finish with a quote "If you're the kind of person who prefers freedom to security, who feels more comfortable in a small room than a large one and who finds that happiness comes from matching your wants to your needs, then running to stand still isn't where your joy lies." Now, that doesn't apply exactly to my situation, but there is enough there that it's worth noting down.

O.K. I'm outta here

No comments:

Post a Comment